Kelp As Alternative Medicine
Kelp the common seaweed is often used as an alternative medicine. From various studies it is shown to have the following health benefits:
1. It helps to lower blood cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
2. Kelp is used to reduce an enlarged prostate in men.
3. It eases pains in joints and inflammatory tissues in people with rheumatism and rheumatoid arthritis.
4. Kelp improves pigmentation in the eyes and nose
5. It can prevent or reduce hair loss.
6. Kelp is often used for the prevention of goiters (enlarged thyroid glands).
7. It prevents the body from absorbing harmful radioactive heavy metals created by nuclear power plants such as strontium 90.
8. It strengthens fingernails
Kelp is available as tablet, tea, capsule, tincture and powder. Asian people especially the Koreans and Japanese eat a lot of seaweed rich in kelp. I enjoy eating dried seaweed as a snack. Maybe this is one way for me to gain the benefits of kelp as an alternative medicine.