Gotu Kola As Alternative Medicine
In Ayurvedic medicine gotu kola is the alternative medicine for various skin diseases. It has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for over 2000 years. Gotu kola is used by both Indian and Chinese cultures to treat skin disorders such as tumors, leprosy, eczema, ulcers, sores, psoriasis, syphilis, burns and wounds.
- It is a brain tonic used to treat senility, epilepsy, premature aging and mental disorders.
- It is a treatment for high blood pressure.
- It is an energy booster and helps the body to recover from fatigue.
- It is a sedative for the treatment of anxiety, stress and insomnia.
- It purifies the blood and also improves blood circulation.
- It is effective in treating rheumatism and arthritis.
- It is a home remedy for diarrhoea and dysentery.
- It is used to treat menstrual disorders and as birth control by some females.
Gotu kola is available as capsules, tablets, tea, dried leaves, extracts and ointments. It is safe when the recommended dosage is adhered to. Standard dosage in extract form is 180 to 200 mg per day. The dosage in tea form is three cups of tea per day. Make a gotu kola tea by steeping 1 or 2 teaspoon of leaves in 150 ml of boiling water for at least ten minutes. However, this herb is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women and children.