Ancient Greeks, American Native Indians and the Arabs have used Juniper berry as an alternative medicine for centuries. It was used as a natural remedy for kidney, bladder and urinary tract infections. This herb is also useful in treating many other ailments.
- It is a powerful treatment for digestive complaints such as heartburn, flatulence, indigestion and belching.
- It is a diuretic used to treat fluid retention and bloating.
- It can help with menstrual complaints, anger and anxiety.
- It is an effective treatment for arthritis, gout, rheumatism and diabetes.
- It is a blood purifier and cleanser that rid the body of toxins and impurities to promote good health.
- It is a topical anti-fungal for skin diseases.
Juniper berry is normally harmless and non toxic. However, those who have a weak kidney should avoid taking this herb. It is also not recommended for pregnant women.
Some of the side effects from excessive use of this herb are kidney pain, diarrhea, blood in urine, intestinal pain and palpitations. Juniper berry can increase the side effects of some diuretic medications. It also affects the absorption of vitamin supplements such as iron.
Juniper berry is available in tablets, capsules, tea bags and tea leaves. Standard dosage is 1000 to 2000 mg a day for a period of no more than 6 weeks. You can make a tea by steeping a teaspoon of tea leaves with 6 oz of boiling water for 10 to 20 minutes. Juniper berry is a very versatile alternative medicine but should be used with caution.