Chickweed As Alternative Medicine
Chickweed is a plant that has been used as an alternative medicine in many folk remedies to treat various ailments. It is also known as starweed. The leaves, stems and flowers of the plant are used for medicine.
- It is used to treat digestive problems such as constipation.
- It is used to treat eye complaints such as sties, sore eyes and pinkeye.
- It is an effective external treatment for skin disorders such as nappy rash, sores, wounds, cuts, ulcers, bites and bruises.
- It improves thyroid function.
- It balances the body’s metabolism.
Eating chickweed raw is the best way to use this herb. Recommended dosage is one or two handfuls a day. It is not recommended for use by expectant or nursing women. If it is taken in excess it could cause vomiting and diarrhea. This herb does not appear to have any interactions with prescription medicine or other herbal products. Chickweed is an alternative medicine with a long history and a folk remedy for obesity.