Catnip As Alternative Medicine
Catnip is an alternative medicine that is used to treat various ailments in human and cats. It is a member of the mint family. This herb is also wonderful for babies and children.
- It is a remedy for gastrointestinal distress such as colic.
- It is used to calm and induce sleep in children and babies.
- It is a treatment for insomnia, stress and anxiety.
- It is a remedy for colds, migraines, tension headache, toothaches and fever,
- It stimulates sweating.
- It is a treatment for hyperactivity in children.
- It is a muscle relaxant to treat spasms.
- It helps to prevent premature birth and miscarriage.
- It eases morning sickness.
Catnip is generally taken as a tea or an infusion. It is a safe herb and does not show any contraindications. However, it is not recommended for use by pregnant women. Excessive consumption could lead to diarrhea or vomiting. It is often used together with other herbs such as elder, cayenne, yarrow and saffron. It is more often employed for use on cats. Catnip remains less known as an alternative for human use today.