Motherwort As Alternative Medicine
Motherwort is predominantly an alternative medicine for the female womb problems. It belongs to the mint family and is often called by the name Lion's Ear. This herb is also effective in the treatment of many other health disorders.
- It is a remedy for epilepsy.
- It is a treatment for heart complaints such as palpitations, irregular heartbeats and rapid heart rate.
- It is a sedative for insomnia, anxiety and nervousness.
- It eases PMS and symptoms of menopause.
- It lowers high blood pressure.
- It is a remedy for digestive problems such as cramps, gas and stomach pain.
- It is a treatment for respiratory passages congestion and shortness of breath.
- It is used topically to treat shingles and itching.
- It is used externally to improve eyesight.
Motherwort is available as capsules, tablets, tea, leaves, tincture and extract. An infusion is made by steeping 1 teaspoonful of leaves to 250ml of boiling water for 10 minutes. Pregnant or nursing women and young children must not use this herb. It is also not recommended for use in the case of heavy menstrual bleeding. Some side effects include contact dermatitis, diarrhea, uterine bleeding, stomach irritation and allergic reactions.
This herb has been used for centuries in childbirth related conditions. Today herbalists use motherwort as an alternative medicine for a wider range of conditions.