Kola Nut As Alternative Medicine
Kola nut the seed from the Kola tree has been used as an alternative medicine on the African continent for centuries. It is also known as Cola and is grown commercially worldwide. It was mainly used as an energy booster. However, it also has many other medicinal uses.
- It is used as an antidote for poison in
- It suppresses the appetite and an aid to weight loss.
- It combats physical and mental fatigue.
- It is an antidepressant to treat anxiety and depression.
- It is a treatment for asthma and whooping cough.
- It is a remedy to counter drowsiness.
Kola nut should be used with caution and should not be taken over long period. Long term use could have carcinogenic results. Side effects include anxiety, dizziness or nervousness. It is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women. Anyone who have intestinal or stomach ulcers should avoid using this supplement too. For those who are sensitive to stimulants or caffeine they must not use kola nut. In addition people who suffer from high blood pressure, insomnia, heart disorders or ulcers should avoid using this seed. Today kola nut is still used as an alternative medicine mainly due to its antidepressant properties.