Flaxseed Oil As Alternative Medicine
Flaxseed oil from the flax plant seeds is an alternative medicine to treat a range of ailments. It is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids similar to that found in fish oil.
- It is an effective treatment for bowel disorders such as constipation, colon inflammation, irritable bowel and stomach inflammation.
- It is a remedy for dry skin, eczema, acne and psoriasis.
- It is often used as a treatment for hormone problems such as mood swings and PMS.
- It is a preventive for heart diseases such as angina, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- It is effective in preventing dry eye after LASIK operation.
- It is also found to be useful in weight control, allergies, multiple sclerosis and depression.
Flaxseed oil is available as capsule or liquid. It is easily affected by light and heat hence it must be refrigerated. It does not have many side effects when not taken in excess. Nausea, diarrhea and gas are some of the likely reactions. However, those that suffer from diarrhea, breast cancer, ovary cancer, uterus cancer and endometriosis should refrain from taking this oil. Studies show flaxseed oil to be an alternative medicine just as effective as doxycycline in combating dry eyes after laser eye surgery.