Burdock As Alternative Medicine
Burdock is one of the foremost herbs used as an alternative medicine for detoxifying by both Chinese and Western herbalists. The root is the part of the plant used for purifying the blood. It is a very powerful herb with many medicinal applications.
- It is a tonic for the liver.
- It is a remedy for skin disorders such as acne, eczema, ulcers, psoriasis, herpes, dry skin, boils, dermatitis, canker sores, styes, burns, ringworm and abscesses.
- It is used to treat rheumatism, gout, lumbago, sciatica and arthritis.
- It is a treatment for venereal diseases such as syphilis.
- It is a remedy for respiratory infections such as pneumonia.
- It is effective for hair loss, dandruff and lice.
- It is often used to treat kidney stones and diseases.
- It is used in the treatment of colds, fever, headaches and tonsillitis.
- It is also used to treat hormone imbalance.
- It is a treatment for hemorrhoids.
Burdock is available as tea, capsules and tinctures. It is often used as a compress for external use to treat skin problems. This herb is usually combined with other herbs such as witch hazel, tea tree, calendula, and Echinacea for colds, sore throats and skin disorders. Recommended dosage is 1 to 2 g of root powder 3 times a day.
This herb is safe when taken over a short period. Pregnant or nursing women and young children must avoid taking burdock. People who are on medications for abnormal blood sugar levels should also refrain from taking it. Burdock is a very powerful alternative medicine and it is even sold as a cancer treatment under the name of Essiac herbal mixture.