Marjoram As Alternative Medicine
Marjoram has been used by the Greeks and Romans for few thousands years ago as an alternative medicine. This herb is derived from the dried leaves of the herbal plant Origanium hortensis.
- It is a sedative for treating insomnia, stress and anxiety.
- It is a treatment for digestive complaints such as flatulence, loss of appetite and indigestion.
- It is a remedy for respiratory disorders such as sinus, asthma, dry coughs and bronchitis.
- It eases headaches, muscle spasms, stiff joints and menstrual cramps.
- It is an expectorant effective for removing mucus from the lungs.
- It helps to ease the pain of toothaches and earaches.
- It promotes menstruation.
- The leaf is effective for treating eczema.
Marjoram is available fresh or dried. Its oil is applied to the skin to treat burns, inflammation and bruises. An infusion is often used to give relief in cases of sore throat, coughing, indigestion, stomachache, cold and flu. However, pregnant women must avoid using the oil. Marjoram is a most useful alternative medicine that most of us are not familiar with.