Dong Quai As Alternative Medicine
Dong Quai is a popular alternative medicine for women in
- It is a tonic for blood and a preventative for anemia.
- It is used as a treatment for arthritis.
- It is used in the treatment of cardiovascular disease such as circulation disorders and high blood pressure.
- It is a blood purifier and an aid for liver and kidney health.
- It is a laxative to help relieve constipation.
- It is a remedy for cramps and insomnia.
Dong quai is available as capsules, tincture, tablets, liquid and soft gels. It provides fast relief for menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes within a short period of two weeks or less. This herb has low toxicity but it is not recommended for children, nursing and pregnant women. It can cause diarrhea in some individuals. People with gastrointestinal problems must refrain from taking dong quai. This herb may interfere with some drugs such as those for thinning blood. Females on any hormone medicines such as estrogen or oral contraceptives are advised not to use dong quai as an alternative medicine.