Horehound As Alternative Medicine
Horehound is one of the oldest herbs used as an alternative medicine for coughs. In Indian Ayurvedic medicine it is the remedy for whooping cough and chronic bronchitis. In past history it was often used as a treatment for coughs, hysteria, jaundice and dyspepsia.
- It is an effective topical treatment for skin disorders such as wounds, eczema and psoriasis.
- It lowers blood pressure.
- It is a remedy for asthma and bronchitis.
- It is a treatment for digestion disorders such as flatulence, indigestion, dyspepsia, heartburn and loss of appetite.
- It is also used to get rid of worms in the intestines.
- It regulates menstrual cycle.
Horehound is available as lozenges, cough syrup, tincture and teas. It is safe for use by children. Sometimes it is combined with catnip, rue, hyssop, mallow root or liquorice root to treat coughs and fevers. This herb is not recommended for use by nursing or pregnant women. It may also affect the absorption of health supplements such as iron. People always relate horehound with sore throat lozenges but not as an alternative medicine.