Aconite As Alternative Medicine
Aconite is a potent alternative medicine that has been used since ancient times. It is derived from the monkshood, wolfs bane or aconite plant. This herb belongs to the Buttercup family and was used as an antidote to poisoning in olden days.
- Aconite extracts are used to ease pain caused by arthritis, rheumatism and gout.
- It is used to treat cold and flu symptoms.
- It is a remedy for headache, earache, fever and eye injuries.
- It is a treatment for sciatica and nerve pain.
- It is effective for treating skin disorders and inflammation.
Aconite is available as pill, teas, ointment, extract and tincture. It is toxic when consumed in its raw state. In Chinese medicines it is generally used together with other herbs to counter its toxicity. It is often an ingredient blended into other herbal preparations as infusions or teas.
This herb is not recommended for use by expectant or nursing women. It increases the effectiveness of some herbs and drugs. This is one herb that works very fast if taken orally. Increased heartbeats and salivation, blurred vision, acidosis and diarrhea are some of the side effects associated with the use of this plant.
Aconite is an extremely powerful alternative medicine but poisonous unless the toxicity is removed.