Foxglove As Alternative Medicine
Foxglove is a potent alternative medicine that is also very toxic. The whole plant is poisonous and is of the Figwort family. Since early 17th century it has been used to treat heart complaints.
- It is a diuretic used for treating edema.
- It is a remedy for asthma.
- It is a powerful medicine for cardiac problems such as irregular heart beat, palpitations and congestive heart failure.
- It is an expectorant and a treatment for lung infections.
- Its ointment is excellent for reducing swelling and cleansing wounds.
Today foxglove is grown commercially for the production of digoxin and digitoxin the cardiac drugs. The dried leaves and seeds of this plant form the base of these heart medications. Side effects as a result of overdose of digoxin are vertigo, anxiety, nausea, depression, convulsions, coma, dry mouth and even death. Today foxglove is still the best known alternative medicine for treating heart disorders.