Calendula As Alternative Medicine
Calendula is an alternative medicine that has a long history as an antiseptic to heal wounds. It is originated from the Mediterranean region but is now accepted all over the world.
- It is an effective remedy for skin problems such as burns, eczema, rashes, wounds, insect bites, chapped skin and scrapes.
- It is effective for treating digestive disorders such as gastritis, indigestion and duodenal ulcers.
- It fights fungal infections.
- It is a treatment for ear infections.
- It normalizes menstruation.
- It is a liver and gallbladder cleanser.
Calendula is available as ointments, tinctures, fluid extracts, oils and fresh or dried leaves. It is a safe and non toxic herb. However, its use can cause allergic reactions in some people. Pregnant or nursing women and children should refrain from using this herb. To make an infusion in a cup of boiling water steep one tablespoonful of dried flowers for 10 to 15 minutes. This tea can be drunk 3 times a day or used as a wash for skin problems. Calendula remains as one of the most versatile herbs and a potent alternative medicine.