Peppermint As Alternative Medicine
Peppermint is an herb that has been used as an alternative medicine since ancient times. It is best known as a home remedy for a range of gastrointestinal problems. Some of these complaints are flatulence, intestinal cramps, indigestion, stomach pains and heartburn. However, peppermint is also found to be beneficial for many other health complaints.
- As an antiseptic peppermint gives relief to sore throats, fever, coughs, colds and flu.
- When used with lavender it is effective for headaches.
- Peppermint is sedative and can ease stress and anxiety.
- It is helpful in getting rid of bad breath.
- It is an anti-inflammatory useful in treating arthritis, tendonitis and fibromyositis.
- It alleviates nausea and morning sickness.
- In aromatherapy it is used to treat mental fatigue and sleepiness.
Peppermint is available as tablets, capsules or tea. You can also get peppermint inhalants or sprays for sinuses. Drinking peppermint tea after food can aid digestion and reduce gas.
Peppermint does not contain caffeine. The tea is safe even for children and pregnant women. It also does not cause any allergy with other medications. Peppermint has many other benefits as an alternative medicine.