Ayurveda, a science of life, advises that the health of the pregnant women to be taken care, so that she is able to withstand the strain of labour and also give birth to a healthy offspring.
It advises mother-to be, to take certain herbs to be taken during each month of pregnancy. Milk decoction is one among them and it has to be drunk everyday before going to bed. It is prepared by mixing 15gms of the monthly advised herb/200mls milk/800mls water then boil it and reducing it to 1/4th the quantity.
- 8 flg leaf buds boiled in milk and then strained for three consecutive days
- For the rest of the month the milk decoction with Bala (Sida rhombifolia)
- Guarantees a healthy child
- Milk decoction with the herb Lakshmana (Ipomeoa sepiaria)
- Sonitamrtam (tonic) is given
- Provides energy
- Milk decoction is with Solanum melenginum (Bruhati)
- Milk decoction with Desmodium gangeticum (Shaliparni)
- Prevents intrauterine growth retardation
- Milk decoction with Amrita (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Milk decoction is with Solanum xanthocarpum (Kantakari)
- if there is water retention problem then Tribulus Terrestris may be given
- Milk decoction along with Hordeum vulgare(yava)
- Sukha prasava Ghee is given to pave a way for an easy delivery
- Maerua oblongiflia and milk is given
- Dhanwantaram 101 or Ksheerabala 101 is taken
- Lubricates the reproductive channels in preparation for childbirth
- Milk decoction with Asparagus racemosus (Shatavari) during this month
During pregnancy, women may undergo cramps, sleeplessness for which medicated oils like Dhanwantharam, Sahacharadi, Pinda tail are used. This ensures peripheral circulation too. To have a normal delivery medicated ghee like sukhaprasoothi ghrita is given.